Wednesday, April 2, 2008

We are home 13 days now....

...and I am the WORST blogger ever!



Sorry I didnt keep up. It was so hard to update this blog in China, and being home now with a 20 month old doesnt make it any easier! I WILL post more pics later this week I PROMISE! But here is the update...

We have been home 13 days now, and it seems like an eternity since we were in China. I left that country with not only my 3rd son, but memories that I couldnt have dreamed of making. It was the trip of a lifetime. China is a beautiful country, and its a place not only worth visiting, but going back to. I miss my travel group. I couldnt have asked for a nicer group of people to share this experience with. But its true when they say "there is no place like home..."


Landing at Newark airport was surreal and wonderful!!! I was immediatly taken to a customs agent where John's passport and adoption info was taken. He was greeted as an American citizen because the moment we landed on American soil, that's what he became. Walking down the ramp, (with my poor father carring 2 carraiges full of luggage) was just heaven as I was greeted by my family and of course Danny and Aidan. The boys were so good and Aidan immediatly offered up his jacket to his younger brother "becuase its cold outside" he said. It was picture perfect!


The first few days were a little foggy. John is an amazing baby. He is laid back and goes with the flow. He adjusted to the time change with no problems. I on the other hand was not so lucky. I would wake up at 4am ready to start my day and almost pass out by 2pm in the afternoon. It wasnt pretty. Thankfully he is a great napper and I was able to get rid of the jet lag within a few days.


He had his first doctors appointment and got the "thumbs up" from his pediatrician. This little boy who upon first meeting him, couldn't sit up on his own steady, or hold his own bottle, or make eye contact much less walk or smile. 23 days later, he walks on his own, feeds not only himself, but me as well. He starts each morning laughing and reaching out for me. Its like John is a different child then the one I adopted in China. Its been a little miracle each day. The milestones I watched Danny and Aidan make over the course of their first 18 months, I'm watching John do from one day to the next. He's amazing. He has a firm grip on what 'peek-a-boo' is and loves to wave 'bye-bye' and blow kisses. Its a great start!

I cannot tell you how good it feels to be home with all three of my sons. I feel like everything is how it should be and how is was always meant to be. The stress and worry I took with me to China, I left in China. This whole experience has been as meaningful and life changing as childbirth itself. And just as equal in its importance. I feel so blessed and lucky...I am one lucky Momma! Pics to follow...



Julie Ann

1 comment:

Jeannine said...

Hi Julieann,

Thanks for the update! I am happy to hear John is doin so well. It is so amazing to watch these kids blossom. I just looked at Cate's pictures from the day we got her, and I could hardly recognize her as the same girl sleeping upstairs right now.

We loved sharing the experience with you and your dad. Please thank him for us. He was such a big help, especially with Alex and all the travel plans. I will always be grateful for the role he played in our experience.

I'll look forward to the pictures!!

Jeannine