Monday, April 21, 2008

Kitchen Dance...

I remember when Danny and Aidan were yonger, (around John's age) I used to dance with them in the kitchen almost every night. I guess it was because I always cooked dinner and had music playing. While my 2 older boys would probably not admit it now, they were dancing fools back then, and didnt hold back when dancing with their Momma. Then they got a little bit older, and maybe thought they were too cool for it, or just grew out of it. Regardless of the reasons, I have missed that little routine of ours for a couple of years now. Dinners became busy and rushed because someone had a practice or a baseball game or friends over. The boys each had their own agenda and little life of their own, and dancing with their mother took a back seat. Its not a bad thing. Just something I didnt know much I missed untill John came home.

So now, I have upgraded. I have an I-pod...and its strategically placed in the kitchen... And John loves music. He gets this serious face on and shakes his head back and forth to the beat of a song. Then he reaches out for me to pick him up and once in my arms, smiles, shakes his whole body and dances clapping his hands. I didnt teach him this. The kid has rhythm all on his own (he didnt get it from watching me I assure you).

Point is, yes...my dirty diaper days are back. So are sticky floors, and toys on the floor, and child safety locks, car seats full of cheerios, missing sippy cups, and loads and loads of laundry. I expected all this. It comes with the territory. But so does that smell of baby lotion, bath time, funny faces, and belly laughs. "Goodnight Moon" rocking to sleep, and early morning smiles through crib slats. I underestimated the importance of these things in my daily routine, and the special place in my memory they had. But the most surprising thing of all has been the dancing. I missed that the most. Now with Johnny home, all my boys are dancing in the kitchen again...

Julie Ann

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Love it!! So where is the picture of John and Mommy dancing in the kitchen?!?! So happy to see an update on your little guy. Hope things are well for you all!
Love
Marcy in KY

Stacy said...

It's the little things that remind us why we became mothers in the first place...and I can totally relate to the smell of baby lotion. I used to keep a small container of Adyson's in my bag for work and smell it throughout the day when I was missing her. I am so happy for you, and your three boys...kepp dancing and enjoying each other!

Anonymous said...

oh Jules... oh Jules...

you are a wonderful writer.. thanking you so much for the wonderful 'visuals' through your words.

Keep up the memories and your wonderful mothering.

kisses
sheila